Wednesday, November 24, 2010

An Unexpected Event

As I was beginning to find my groove and settle in, I awoke one night around with an intense stabbing pain in my lower right abdomen. After enduring the fiery pain every moment of standing, sitting, laying, bending, basically any movement at all, I decided to send the 24-hour medical a text message, as my site rarely has a strong enough cellular network for a voice call. In the morning around Dr. Harry, the Congolese Peace Corps doctor for Zambia, called back and told me to come to Lusaka straight away. “No problem”, I said, “be there in two days.” After packing a couple of shirts, some skivvies, and an extra pair of trousers, I was on the road desperately looking for a hitch. With a bit of extreme luck, I found a ride going all the way to Solwezi, the Northwestern provincial capital. So after 6-hours of being covered with red dust from the dirt roads and making idle conversation with the other two men heading to Solwezi for new tires, I made it to the Peace Corps office and checked in for the night. The next day around I boarded a bus heading to the capital Lusaka and the careful watch of Dr. Harry, US Peace Corps. With the pain returning and a slight bit of nausea, I hobbled on and found a window seat with a sliding window that worked. After the 12-hour ride, we arrived in the capital and I found a taxi that took me to the main Peace Corps office. After a short examination by Dr. Harry and a short chat with PCVs in for various viruses and foot fungi, I was at a clinic having an IV placed by a nurse who was reluctant to leave her game of computer solitaire that seemed to be ongoing since her time of employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment